1) Is the PBCers a nonprofit organization?
The PBCers Organization is a tax exempt public charity under section 501 (a) of the Internal Revenue Code as an organization described in section 501 (c) (3). Donations made to the PBCers Organization are tax exempt to the donor.
2) What is the PBCers?
The PBCers is an organized support system for PBC & other liver diseases patients, family members, friends and those wanting to learn more about PBC. Founded in March 1996 by Linie Moore. On December 1, 1996 we became the PBCers. Currently there are over 3,000 members Worldwide in the PBCers Organization.
3) What is the purpose of the PBCers?
Feeling alone and the need to talk to others, set the purpose of our group. Our purpose is to offer caring support, help, friendship and education to Primary Biliary Cholangitis patients, their family members, friends, other liver diseases sufferers and anyone interested in learning more about PBC.
4) How does the PBCers offer it’s members help and support?
The PBCers offer help and support in various forms:
- ► PBC e-mail daily digest.
- ► Website – PBC information, doctor referral data base, local groups and conference information.
- ► Facebook pages and groups – public PBC pages and private groups for our members.
- ► PBCers message board on Delphi.
- ► PBC National conferences and education meetings.
- ► Fundraising and PBC Awareness events.
- ► Regional groups for face-to-face meetings.
Extension e-mail groups:
- ► Doctors Panel answers the PBCers questions.
- ► Doctors referral.
5) What are the goals of the PBCers?
The goals of the PBCers are:
- ► Offer help and support to all those who suffer from PBC or any other liver disease. NO one should feel alone with PBC.
- ► Help researchers discover the cause and cure for PBC.
- ► Public awareness of PBC.
- ► Organ donor awareness.
- ► Educate PBCers, family members, friends and the general public about PBC.
6) How is the PBCers different from other online support groups?
Basically, the PBCers is like other online support groups except as a group:
- ► The PBCers have actually made a difference in the fight against PBC.
- ► Grown into the largest Worldwide support group of it’s kind.
- ► Making PBC history through our current research projects.
- ► Achieved more public awareness for PBC and Organ Donation.
- ► Held the first worldwide annual PBC Conference in January, 1999.
- ► Have an informative website for our member’s use, but also a site used by doctors and other medical professionals for reference in treating and learning more about PBC.
- ► Regional PBCer groups for face-to-face meetings.
- ► PBC doctor referral data base.
- ► Fundraising for PBC research.
- ► Three PBCers quilts for showing at meetings and our convention (Filled with love and are works of art.)
- ► Have various forms of support for our members: E-mail daily digest, Internet message board, Facebook public pages and private groups and family member listbot.
- ► MOST important we are accomplishing why this group was started. To make sure NO ONE feels alone with PBC or other liver diseases, and they receive the caring support and help needed in this difficult time of their lives.
7) Is the PBCers an American Liver Foundation chapter?
The PBCers Organization is not part of the American Liver Foundation.
8) Is the PBCers Organization an anonymous support group?
No. The PBCers is not an anonymous support group. We use our members information for the PBCers Organization ONLY. We do not give or sell our membership information to any other groups, organizations or marketing companies.
9) What is the PBC Daily Digest?
The PBC daily digest is one large e-mail which includes all the subscriber e-mails for that day, or since our last daily digest was sent out by Yahoo Groups. You must be a subscriber of the PBCers to post messages in the PBC daily digest.
10) Are there any dues to belong to the PBCers?
There are no membership dues to join the PBCers.